01 April 2007

EGBERT Ch. 10. Teacher Development

EGBERT Ch. 10. Teacher Development
RICHARDSON Ch. 7. Fun with Flickr: Creating, Publishing, and Using Images Online



We've talked a lot in class about how technology can be used to help ELLs learn English. The internet is also an excellent resource for teacher professional development. Describe ways you have used internet resources for your own professional development as a language teacher. If you haven't already done this, describe some of the resources in the Egbert chapter you would be interested in trying.

Next, briefly describe how images such as those from Flickr and other free photo sharing sites can be used in ESL classrooms.


One of the resources I use all the time to help me with extra material for class is Edhelper.com. Some of the resources of free, but it is better to get a subscription for a year. In this site you'll find activities for all subject areas.

As far as professional development goes, I have not done much of that online. However, I do often get emails from PBS teacherline. They always offer courses for different subjects, technology, behavior management, classroom management, and other topics relevant to teaching. I almost did sign up last year for a course, but had too much going on.

I am sure there are also other sites that help with training, and I am sure that are groups where teachers can create support groups for various grade levels.

I remember that one of the professors from the TTF program created a yahoo group so that we could communicate with each other on various topics. We also shared some resources to help us with the teaching.

Sites such as flicker provide images for the classroom. While I did not get a chance to look at it, it would be great site to get all the images needed for powerpoint, or to enhance any other type of presentation.

Lately it seems that it is difficult to find time to do everything!

2 comments:

Joleen J said...

Hola. Thanks for your comments. Don't panic--I have my comments go through me, so I know when I have a new one. I see that you posted it several times. Hope it didn't confuse you too much!

I forgot about Edhelper.com--taht is a great site! I used it a lot in Chicago and I had a membership, as you suggest. Good call! Have you seen www.eslprintables.com?? It is like ed helper, but it is swap meet style, so for each activity/lesson plan you upload, you get to download 10! It seems really cool to me.

See you in class.

Dr. Wayne E. Wright said...

Lizardo,

Nice job. and Joleen, thanks for this cool link! I'll check it out!

-Dr. Wright