05 March 2007

Content-Based Instruction




Eggbert talks about the use of powerpoint and Internet sites to supplement the instruction. Currently I have students working on a "wholistic" ecosystem project. I gave them book resources but also gave them several links to sites that allow to research the different ecosystems further. Students are to report on specific information for the ecosystem they chose (i.e. desert, tundra, grassland, etc.) Before letting students onto the sites, I brought up the sites through a projector that connects to my laptop and modeled for them how to use the site and where to find information. Some students preferred books on the topic over the computer. Projects are due this week, and I can't wait to see what they have discovered.

Another way I have incorporated technology is through the use of kid-friendly sites that are related to the topic of study (fossils, rocks, water cycle). The sites usually have many graphics and can are used to help students understand content better. This year, students seem to remember the Internet site more than the Scott Foresman Science book.

I would like to do more integration of technology. I've got a couple ideas using kidspiration to help supplement an activity center for the students.

1 comment:

Dr. Wayne E. Wright said...

Lizardo,

Awesome lesson you described!

-Dr. Wright